About Me

Welcome to my blog! Sometimes, I write in Spanish, others in English, but basically this is my daily diary of sorts. Los invito a mi blog, que es como un diário de mis eventos y escritos que a veces son en español, y a veces en inglés...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Manny Interviews Esmeralda Santiago


Por Manny López
(para el Blog Gaspar, El Lugareño)

I remember when I read Esmeralda Santiago´s When I was Puerto Rican. I was immediately connected to her style of writing. I felt the freshness in her words. This new wave of latino women writers which she is a part of, I happen to admire very much. As I have said before, I have been blessed with the modern day tactics of Facebook and the like. It was thru Facebook that I have kept in contact with Esmeralda and her world. It feels wonderful to be able to interact with a writer or anyone you admire, in a more personal way, even if it´s thru cyber space. I took the courage to ask her to answer the questionnaire and she was extremely gracious and responded right away.

I thank you Esmeralda, and I invite all of you to see for yourselves her answers....

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- I don't know. I haven't reached it.

What is your idea of happiness?
- Recognizing happiness when it arrives.

Who are your favorite characters in history?
- The Little Dutch Boy who pressed his finger into the crack of the dyke.

The quality you most admire in a man?
- His ability to respect women.

The quality you most admire in a woman?
- No fear of the mirror.

Your most marked characteristic?
- My gray hair.

What do you most value in your friends?
- Laughter.

How would you like to die?
- Very old.

What is your present state of mind?
- Motivated.

What is your motto?
- I think I can.

Esmeralda Santiago is the author of three acclaimed memoirs: When I was Puerto Rican, Almost a Woman, and The Turkish Lover. Her novel, Conquistadora, will be published on August 2011

Photo Credit: Belongs to Esmeralda Santiago´s personal files

No comments: