About Me

Welcome to my blog! Sometimes, I write in Spanish, others in English, but basically this is my daily diary of sorts. Los invito a mi blog, que es como un diário de mis eventos y escritos que a veces son en español, y a veces en inglés...

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Manny interviews...Juan Carlos Zaldivar

                                                                                 por Manny López
            (para el blog Gaspar, El Lugareño)


I am a firm believer that what one wishes, one gets, it´s just a matter of working towards it. A high dosage of persistence is also recommended. When I read in the papers about Juan Carlos Zaldivar´s documentary 90 Miles, and its release then, I made a mental note that one day I would like to meet its creator.
During Docs in Motion´s Documentary Nights at Zu Galeria, I suggested to Victor Jimenez that during the month of June I wanted to have a documentary that its theme be related to the Mariel Boatlift which I was honoring in its 30th year anniversary. He could not seem to find a documentary, and all of a sudden I remembered 90 Miles. I told Victor about it, and he embarked on a journey to find the documentary and Juan Carlos Zaldivar.
Needles to say, both appeared and it was one of the most emotional nights at Zu for me. I sat down to watch the film, and from the opening I knew it was going to be difficult to watch without fighting some tears. Seeing Juan Carlos dealing with his return to Cuba, and the quest for answers, struck a cord within me. I felt connected. 90 Miles is a beautiful, poignant piece of filmmaking and its creator a person I wanted to know more of. So what better way to know more of Juan Carlos Zaldivar than to ask these several questions....

For more information on Juan Carlos Zaldivar go to http://www.zaldivar.info/









  What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

- Prostitution. When we lose ourselves we have lost all.

  What is your idea of happiness?

- Understanding our place in the world. I strive to achieve that. There are milestones.

  Who are your favorite characters in history?

- I have a conflict with history and its "characters". They are often shadows of real people. Many histories have been long denied like HER story and that of many other colonized places and cultures around the world. I subscribe to the importance of oral histories, personal archives and art. Those things often take us closer to the roots.

  The quality you most admire in a man?

- Honesty.

  The quality you most admire in a woman?
- Independence.

  Your most marked characteristic?

- I am still figuring myself out! I'll get back to you on this : )

  What do you most value in your friends?

- I once read that friends are reflections of qualities we don't possess but would like to learn.

  How would you like to die?

- At peace with my self and my loved ones.

  What is your present state of mind?

- Introspective. I am completing a film about my mother, our relationship and (funny enough) our absence from history.

  What is your motto?

- Make it happen.


Foto/Blog Gaspar, El Lugareño (by Elsa Roberto)

No comments: