About Me

Welcome to my blog! Sometimes, I write in Spanish, others in English, but basically this is my daily diary of sorts. Los invito a mi blog, que es como un diário de mis eventos y escritos que a veces son en español, y a veces en inglés...

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering...

Caos en la ciudad, original work by Karin Aldrey

Remembering

Ten years ago

Driving on the highway

Singing along to a tune

I have completely forgotten

Nothing seemed to disturb me.

The cars were going the same direction

I was on and off the cell phone

The sky was as blue as today

My longings were as usual.

At about 8:46am the energy changed.

The singing came to an abrupt halt

Voices known to be silly

Became increasingly serious.

That's when it all began...

I have chosen to forget this day

But one thing is what one thinks

And another is what one does.

Suddenly this afternoon

I remembered...

And every single face

Of those desperate strangers

Jumping off for their lives

Came back to hunt me.

Oh I remember that day!

And it seems that another ten years

from now

I'll remember again...


Manuel A. López



1 comment:

Carmen Karin Aldrey said...

Excelente poema! Querido Manny, gracias por escoger una de mis pinturas dedicadas a ese trágico día para ilustrarlo, el mundo no cambió a partir de ese día, sencillamente porque la historia de la humanidad está llena de episodios sangrientos y por desgracia siempre será así, pero sí cambió la conciencia contemporánea y la llenó de más dolor. Sólo le pido a Dios, como dice la canción, que algún día tengamos la capacidad de entender que solo la paz y el crecimiento espiritual puede salvarnos. Una oración por las víctimas de esta masacre incomprensible.