About Me

Welcome to my blog! Sometimes, I write in Spanish, others in English, but basically this is my daily diary of sorts. Los invito a mi blog, que es como un diário de mis eventos y escritos que a veces son en español, y a veces en inglés...

Monday, August 23, 2010

Manny Interviews Elizabeth Caballero via Gaspar, El Lugareño


Manny Interviews Elizabeth Caballero

por Manny López
(para el blog Gaspar, El Lugareño)


The first time I ever heard of Elizabeth Caballero was in the Spanish version of Master Class which played a few years ago here. I remember her presence onstage, her voice, and I thought to myself this girl has success written all over her. From then on, I have sporadically heard of her many triumphs, and seen her onstage on many occasions, always to endless applause from the critics and audience alike. But one of the things I most admire about Liz, as most people call her, is her way with people. She is charming and always sporting a big smile. Every time I hear of another of her many successes, I feel so proud of her. She seems to me, like an old schoolmate who made it big!


I present to you Elizabeth Caballero


What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

- I think the lowest depth of misery has to be the loss of faith whether it's in God or in yourself or in a loved one. When you lose faith in God or a higher being that you used to pray to, I think that has to be a very lonely feeling. When you loose faith in yourself or in your ability to be who you are, that too has to be a lonely & desperate feeling, very sad. And when you loose faith in the one or ones that you love who do you turn to? I guess if you loose faith in yourself or the ones you love, you can always turn to God but I don't know what one would do if they loose their faith in God. So I guess the lowest depth of misery, in my humble opinion, is to loose your Faith.

What is your idea of happiness?


- Being an opera singer, I travel a lot and when I go away for long periods of time, I take with me my little dog. Sometimes it's Kenny or sometimes it's Mimi. After coming home from a long day of rehearsals and opening the door to a strange apartment that I've rented in that city for that period of time and then seeing that little face stare at me with so much love and happiness, that makes my day every time. It's like bringing a piece of home with me were ever I go. The thought of the unconditional love that that little creature gives me, is my idea of happiness. Call me silly but I love my 4 legged children.


Who are your favorite characters in history?


- I think I would have to say Mozart, Puccini & Verdi. No surprise that it's all opera composers. I would love just to go inside their heads and see how they came up with all those beautiful melodies that I love to sing so much. How did they do it?!


The quality you most admire in a man?


- Honesty loyalty


The quality you most admire in a woman?


- Strength & sweetness. Sounds absurd but I always admire women that show so much strength but in a feminine way and never as a "bitch". It's something that as a woman I have tried to do in my life. Strength is a quality I really really admire in women. But when women are strong, they are misinterpreted as being a Bitch. It's the double standards in our society. For many years, as I was growing up, I struggled with this because I could not find the perfect balance between the two. I was either too Strong (e.i. A Bitch) or too Sweet (e.i. A total come Mierda). So I admire when I see women that have that balance in their lives. I almost envy it since I'm still trying to perfect it in me. LOL


Your most marked characteristic?


- I honestly don't know. I guess I would have to say my voice.


What do you most value in your friends?


- I am a person that has very few friends. All my life I've been this way. I don't think I every really had a "best friend" growing up. I know lots of people but consider only a selected few to be my friends. To me friends are people that I enjoy spending time with talking and enjoying each others company. If they can make me laugh; help me forget my troubles the time I'm with them, then I'd love to call them my friend.


How would you like to die?


- In bed sleeping.


What is your present state of mind?


- Hopeful


What is your motto?


-My two favorites are:


"El bebe que no llora, no mama.", & the other one is a quote I hear my dad say a lot, "Yo vivo mi vida como el gran profeta, Willy Chirino, 'Lo que esta pa ti, nadie te lo quita'." Mi papa es un personaje. LOL



Foto/Blog Gaspar, El Lugareño (by Elsa Roberto)
-------------------------------------------------------

No comments: