About Me

Welcome to my blog! Sometimes, I write in Spanish, others in English, but basically this is my daily diary of sorts. Los invito a mi blog, que es como un diário de mis eventos y escritos que a veces son en español, y a veces en inglés...

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Call of Death


Foto de Marta Ramos


The call of death
By Manny López


Dying is the same as moving from one house to a much more beautiful house...

- Elisabeth Kübler-Ross



For months and months I have felt the darkness of death near me. I can recall almost all the occasions when it felt like it was a matter of minutes. It wasn’t my death I was worried about. I have died on almost two occasions, and I am still here. The death that lingered, and still does is aimed at my friend, poet Elena Tamargo. Presently she is hospitalized in a hospice, where she is unconscious, and waiting for death to catch up to her… eventually.

I have pretended to be ready for the inevitable, however day by day it becomes more difficult to realize that my confidant, my friend, my teacher is not going to be around to critique my poetry, to guide me to the right path in life, to recommend a book. I am going to miss our endless telephone calls and daily emails…our Sunday escapades. Although I know the process and all that comes with it; one never fully feels ready to accept death. Maybe I am a selfish person, but I want her near me, as always.
Yesterday, I began printing the emails sent back and forth that were still active in my AOL account. The thread began on November 2009 until this past October 22 when I received the last email from Elena. There were over 400 emails, and it was impossible to stop reading them. On January 2011, while I was in Italy, she wrote to me to hurry and come home. She had a dream where she is really thirsty, yet she does not drink any water, waiting for me to bring it to her. This really scared me; for she knew that far in advance that she was dying. Maybe I did too.

I lit a candle for her in every church I visited, and I carried her message, which read, “ I want a miracle” to Saint Francis, and Saint Clara. When I was in Peggy Guggenheim’s garden I stood in front of her Wishing Tree that Yoko Ono had donated to the museum and wrote down Elena’s wish, and clipped it to the highest branch I could reach for. Hanging there, the sunlight stroke the white paper; this gave off this incredible luminous glare. I was sure her wish, and my plea would help cure my friend.


When things got bad Elena would look at me in the eyes, and with this girlish grin ask me, “ Am I going to die?”… I always gave her the same response, over and over like a broken record, I always replied, “Only the people who have no future plans in life die, and you have so many… you won’t”. I became a compulsive liar when in the company of my dear friend. Anytime the subject of death came up, I would turn it around. Instead I made her promise to get better, to eat well, and to accompany me in a trip to Antigua to visit her dear friend, the Guatemalan poet, Maya Cu. We talked about various projects we had in mind. We had endless talks about our future, mines… and hers.

One night I was very down, and she was too, yet she listened to me patiently, and afterwards said to me, “…we need to have a plan, we both cannot be sad at the same time. If I am sad, you need to help me out of that, and vice versa.” That is exactly what we have been doing, rescuing each other and easing the pain we each were dealing with.
I have spent my entire life looking for an accomplice in the form of a partner, a lover. Life and its many mysteries takes you by surprise. It wasn’t until recently that finally it materialized in the form of a partner, however since our first encounter Elena and I became just that… accomplices. She has been my most fierce defender time and time again.

This past weekend I was contacted by the Miami Book Fair International, where she was going to be presenting a book with other poets. They asked if I wanted to participate by reading her poetry since it was impossible for her to be there. I agreed, because she had called me days before in the middle of the night, agitated, saying I needed to cover for her at the Fair Presentation. I agreed because it is an honor to read her work. But most important I agreed because her voice needs to carry on.
She knows I am going to be reading on Sunday. I have told her. She cannot talk, but she hears me… when I read to her Hölderlin's Hymns, or when I consult with her on the poems I am going to be reading Sunday, or when I tell her that everything will be alright.

 

Death is right around the corner; however I am not afraid of it anymore. A couple of nights ago I told her that I had come to bring her water, that she did not need to be thirsty anymore...that she didn’t need to be afraid anymore. I am depositing all my energy out there, in the Universe, for it to do as it is supposed to do. Whatever that is, Elena Tamargo will never be absent.

We have plans, she and I…










23 comments:

Ashgrove said...

Gracias, Manny. Truly a beautiful post, as befitting Elena.

Abrazos,

Félix

Odette Alonso said...

Te abrazo, querido Manny. Estoy junto a ti y a todos nuestros amigos en este dolor y esta espera.

Amada said...

Many I feel for you I lost my Mom 7 months ago, but keep in mind that Elena will always be with you. "The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. ~Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook

Lima en Escena said...

Querido Manny:
Fuerza amigo!!!Sabemos de tu aprecio, amor y admiración por Martha Tamargo, poeta inagotable, cuya amistad los engrandeció a ambos. Estamos contigo en este momento tan desolador. Piensa en los momentos mas maravillosos que pasaron juntos, en su poesía, en sus paseos, en sus charlar. Piensa en ella desde la paz. Te queremos mucho Manny.

Anonymous said...

Que tributo tan lindo a Elena, una amistad tan linda y pura, que suerte poder tener esa amistad!!

Maya said...

Manny,
gracias por estar junto a Elena, como yo hubiera querido hacerlo.
Les mando un abrazo y un par de lagrimillas.
Desde Guatemala,

maya

Lesbia O. Varona said...

Querido Manny,
Estoy contigo en este dolor que nos une a todos los que conocemos a Elena, pero también en este homenaje de vida que le brindas cuando aún ella puede escucharte.
Lesbia

Maite Calas de Mazola said...

You've brought tears to my eyes. What a gift of a friend and wonderful human being you are. She is very fortunate to have had your presence and love in her life. For many, are not as blessed. May God bless you and give you the strengh to go though this pain and great loss. My best regards to you, always.

Anonymous said...

Como ala de mariposa es un poeta pero nunca muere. Judith G.

Lú Ponce said...

Manny, I wish you peace and resignation. I too lost my best friend 4 years ago. The night that I met you at Zu was my first attempt at going out after my loss. Little by little time dulls the pain and the emptiness and brings out the love, and the special times you shared. Celebrate your time together and your experiences! At certain times, you may stop and smile and think how much you would have enjoyed sharing a particular moment. You are fortunate to have such a special friend...she will never leave you.

Wilfredo said...

Manny, bello homenaje a quien ha sido tu amiga y tu consejera. bello homenaje a quien ha derrochado una bella poesia en las paginas por ella escrita o en las noches de un patio que no se olvida. La muerte es solo un punto de partida, el cual a veces es dificil de aceptar, pero que nos lleva a la inmortalidad y es alli donde tendremos el lujo de mantener a la poeta Elena Tamargo.

Niki Palomino said...

Ay Manny. Te dejo un abrazo, aun mejor, te dejo dos abrazos..

Niurki

Matancero soy said...

Querido Manny, desde LA estoy contigo, ¿que te puedo decir? Algún día nos sentaremos y hablaremos sobre la pelona que nos acompaña desde el nacimiento....
Abrachos.

Anonymous said...

querido manny, bellas palabras llenas de sentido. allA va un pensamiento de consuelo y comprensiOn para los dos. r. inguanzo

Ivan said...

Lindas palabras, amigo......
Elena se nos va de momento....su alma nos acompanhara por siempre.
Su huella es imborrable....
Ivan y Alba

Anonymous said...

You know what I've been through. My lover has been dying for years but he didn't know it. When he did, he told me that our relationship would never end. Elena will always be alive because you too are soul mates.
Irene López Kuchilán

Anonymous said...

Gracias por compartir estas palabras que me han dejado sin aliento. Elena es tuya amigo, y lo sera siempre, nada te la podra quitar, piensa eso.

Anonymous said...

Piensa eso.
Niurka Dreke

Carmen Karin Aldrey said...

"Cuando mi voz calle con la muerte, mi corazón te seguirá hablando."

-Rabindranath Tagore-

Felix Anesio said...

estoy siempre contigo por tu fidelidad y entrega a elena y a todos tus amigos. gracias!

Anonymous said...

GACIAS MANY EN NOMBRE DE MI FAMILIA .ELLA SIEMPRE ESTARA CONTIGO ,,,,LA MUJER MAS LINDA DEL MUNDO MI PRIMITA BELLA ,,,,YA DESCANSO

Belkis Cuza-Malé said...

Un beso, querido Manny, en medio de este dolor. Elena es ya otro ángel que ha de estar siempre a tu lado y al nuestro. Tanta dulzura que supo dar no se apagará jamás.
Muchas bendiciones

Anonymous said...

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and web and this is really annoying. A good web site with exciting content, {that is} what I need. Thank you for keeping this web-site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.
Fischer RC6 Quick Fit Ski Pole