About Me

Welcome to my blog! Sometimes, I write in Spanish, others in English, but basically this is my daily diary of sorts. Los invito a mi blog, que es como un diário de mis eventos y escritos que a veces son en español, y a veces en inglés...

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Manny Interviews Neil de la Flor via El Lugareño


Manny Interviews Neil de la Flor

por Manny López
(para el blog Gaspar, El Lugareño)

Months and months ago, when I was on my usual search in GOOGLE, I came upon Neil de la Flor. His poetry, and his uniqueness caught my attention. I had been wanting to develop this year a series of Literary Nights in English, not only because I was craving it, but because many people asked me for it. He needed to present his new book of poetry, and after endless emails, we did it! It was a different type of presentation, one that I happen to like a lot, because it reminded me that diversity is the key to success, and to boredom. When I thought of doing the questionnaire, his name was on my mind right away. Neil has been a great sport, not only by answering these questions but allowing Elsa and I into his home to torture him for this photograph.


For those of you who do not know him, I present to you Neil de la Flor, and may you enjoy his answers as much as I have.


What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?


- Listening to Power 96 on my way to work and realizing that I just heard a commercial for vaginal rejuvenation. Seriously. What can be worse or more miserable than getting a mental image of dried up vagina. I have nothing against vaginas. In fact, I think women should be given more respect because they deserve it. It's disgusting. To answer your question, the lowest depth of misery for me is living in a world that values women for what they should look like rather than who they are and what they're worth as unique, living beings. That goes for men too. And because these commercials reflect the de-culturalization of America.


What is your idea of happiness?


- When the idea of happiness is no longer a question worth asking. I have no idea of happiness, just moments of joy, which are enough for me: rollerblading and seeing a squirrel run across the road, hanging out with my nephew because he still thinks I'm cool, lightning, hailstorms, driving and arriving without any memory of how I got from point A to Z, my job as a teacher, taking photographs, photographing images, my backyard, my son, Nico, who is a dog, and Barcelona.


Who are your favorite characters in history?


- Frida Kahlo, Satan, Wonder Woman, Jon Bon Jovi (not really), Sinead O'Connor, Washington Carver, and Julius Caesar for inventing the Caesar salad. And mom. Oh, and Pedro Almodovar.


The quality you most admire in a man?


- His penis.


The quality you most admire in a woman?


- Her penis.


Your most marked characteristic?


- My ability to see things for what they can be.


What do you most value in your friends?


- Their ability to make me laugh.


How would you like to die?


- This is the first I've heard of my pending death. I'm immortal. If it's true, then in a big banana flambé, I guess. P.S. You've just nullified my idea of happiness


What is your present state of mind?

- Present.

What is your motto?

- Don't think. Just write.


Neil de la Flor's publications include Almost Dorothy (Marsh Hawk Press, 2010), winner of the Marsh Hawk Press Poetry Prize, Facial Geometry (NeoPepper Press, 2006), co-authored with Maureen Seaton and Kristine Snodgrass, and Sinead O'Connor and her Coat of a Thousand Bluebirds (Firewheel Editions, forthcoming 2011), co-authored with Maureen Seaton and winner of the Sentence Book Award. He can be reached at www.neildelaflor.com and blogs at www.almostdorothy.wordpress.com. His favorite word is ham.


Foto/Blog Gaspar, El Lugareño (by Elsa Roberto)

No comments: